Today is the day for the new laws passed this year to go in to effect.
Virginia will now honor any permit from any state. This should help get more recognition for a Virginia permit as well. We’ll see in the next few days/weeks/months. Maine, New Hampshire, Colorado, and Georgia now should honor a Virginia Resident permit. See below.
- Nevada now honors a Virginia Concealed Handgun Permit. This actually changed a few weeks ago, but I figured I would include it in here as well.
- Maine reciprocity law. 25 MRSA §2001-A, sub-§2, F. A handgun carried by a person to whom a valid permit to carry a concealed handgun has been issued by that person’s state of residence if that person’s state of residence honors a permit to carry a concealed handgun issued under this chapter; [2015, c. 144, §1 (RPR).]
- New Hampshire reciprocity law. Title XII 159:6-d Full Faith and Credit for Licenses From Other States; Reciprocity. – Notwithstanding the provisions of RSA 159:6, no nonresident holding a current and valid license to carry a loaded pistol or revolver in the state in which he resides or who is a peace officer in the state in which he resides, shall be required to obtain a license to carry a loaded pistol or revolver within this state if: I. Such nonresident carries upon his person the license held from the state in which he resides; and II. The state in which such person is a resident provides a reciprocal privilege for residents of this state. Source. 1993, 130:1, eff. Jan. 1, 1994.
- Colorado reciprocity law. 18-12-213. Reciprocity (1) A permit to carry a concealed handgun or a concealed weapon that is issued by a state that recognizes the validity of permits issued pursuant to this part 2 shall be valid in this state in all respects as a permit issued pursuant to this part 2 if the permit is issued to a person who is: (a) Twenty-one years of age or older; and (b) (I) A resident of the state that issued the permit, as demonstrated by the address stated on a valid picture identification that is issued by the state that issued the permit and is carried by the permit holder; or (II) A resident of Colorado for no more than ninety days, as determined by the date of issuance on a valid picture identification issued by Colorado and carried by the permit holder. Links State Firearms Site CHP Info Packet CCW Application State FAQs State Statutes State Admin Rules State Reciprocity Info State Attorney General Boulder Co. Sheriff Info El Paso Co. Sheriff Info State CHP Laws Firearm/Weapon Laws Last Updated: 7/1/16 www.handgunlaw.us 2 (2) For purposes of this section, a “valid picture identification” means a driver’s license or a state identification issued in lieu of a driver’s license. History: L. 2003: Entire part added, p. 646, § 1, effective May 17.L. 2007: Entire section amended, p. 956, § 1, effective May 17
- Georgia reciprocity law. O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126 Having or Carrying Handguns, Long Guns, or Other Weapons; License Requirement; Exceptions for Homes, Motor Vehicles, and Other Locations and Conditions; Penalties for Violations (e) Any person licensed to carry a handgun or weapon in any other state whose laws recognize and give effect to a license issued pursuant to this part shall be authorized to carry a weapon in this state, but only while the licensee is not a resident of this state; provided, however, that such licensee shall carry the weapon in compliance with the laws of this state.
Gun shows in Virginia will now have a booth where the Virginia State Police can run a VOLUNTARY background check on private gun sales.
Someone with a Permanent Protective Order can not possess firearms until the order is lifted or expires. Maximum time for a permanent protective order is 2 years.
No 2nd form of ID required when purchasing a firearm, and for “assault firearms” no proof of citizenship is required.
Members of the Virginia National Guard with a Concealed Handgun Permit may carry concealed on National Guard facilities, with limited exception.
Also, there is a new Virginia Concealed Handgun permit application. If you taken our Virginia permit class and have not yet turned in your application you will need to use the new application when you apply.